With so many elliptical machines on the market, if youâ€™re planning to get one for your home, it can be tough to know how to choose. Itâ€™s important to compare elliptical machines to select the best home elliptical or your needs. Here is what to look for when making your decision:
- Try before you buy. While online shopping is convenient, with a valuable item like an exercise machine, it is critical to ride it before you purchase it. You need to get a sense for its feel, the range of resistance levels, its range of motion and more.
- You get what you pay for. This is especially true for fitness equipment. While you may be thrilled to pick up an elliptical for $399, the reality is that when it doesnâ€™t feel good and workouts arenâ€™t effective, youâ€™ll stop using it. Then thatâ€™s $399 wasted, not saved. To get a quality machine that will last a long time, you need to invest $1500 or more.
- Assess the lower-body motion. Does it feel natural and comfortable? Is it smooth in terms of pedal articulation and acceleration? Change resistance levels and move forward and backward as well.
- Evaluate the handlebar movement. On some ellipticals, the handlebars seem to be an afterthought, and the arms simply can go for the ride. Make sure you really have to use your upper-body. Octane Fitness is the only brand that uses MultiGrip and Converging Path handlebars that maximize grip options and upper-body muscle use.
- Check out the programs. A good elliptical will give you a variety of options, from manual routines to interval training to interactive heart rate regimens. See whatâ€™s available and how easy it is to program your info and get started.
- Notice the extras. Heart rate monitoring is becoming standard on premium ellipticals, and this is an effective way to train, as youâ€™ll be in your target zone. Some machines offer fans to keep you cool. Also, check for a water bottle holder, a place to stash your phone and a reading rack.
- Measure the machine. An elliptical is no good if it wonâ€™t fit in your home â€“ check the ceiling height and ensure that you wonâ€™t hit your head when standing on the machine.
Take notes on each machine you try, and donâ€™t feel rushed into making a choice. Investing in your health and fitness is important, so do your homework and compare elliptical machines before you buy one. If you purchase a quality machine that keeps you fit and use it for years, it is well worth the cost.