Losing weight is hard work, and apps can provide convenient, valuable guidance. With so many out there, however, it can be a challenge to know which app to use. In its research, Appitalism.com identified the top 10 free apps for weight loss and as a fitness tracker, and we’ve shared them below to get you started researching and deciding which is best for you.
- Noom Weight Loss (Android) – helps you set goals and track progress; tracks your food and activity to keep you focused.
- Endomondo Sports Tracker (Android, iPhone, BlackBerry) – for outdoor exercisers, this app uses GPS to track your running or cycling route and gives you a Google maps view of it. It records workouts and gives you an exercise session history for browsing.
- Eat This, Not That! The game (iPhone) – gives you two similar food choices, and you must pick with is more nutritious and less fatty. It comes in handy when you’re at local chain restaurants and fast food places and need to make a smart selection, pronto!
- Calorie Counter by MyNetDiary (Android, iPhone) – tracks your calorie and nutrient intake, as well as your exercise, providing charts and graphs to make the information easy to digest. (No pun intended!) Plus, it has 420,000 foods in its database, so you’re pretty safe that your food choices are included.
- Jefit (Android) – gym rats will appreciate the comprehensive tracking and training capabilities, with exercises that can be selected based on an anatomical map, and Super Set workouts customized for your goals.
- Daytum (iPhone) – this app is designed to take any data and transform it to attractive infographics that can be easily shared. Sometimes the cool graph of your progress is just what you need to keep going.
- Nike Training Club (iPhone) – provides dozens of workouts that are designed specifically for women by Nike athletes, pro athletes and celebrity trainers, and helps you select routines based on your capabilities and requirements.
- Daily Burn (iPhone) – lets you track workouts and weight, and create weight-loss goals, provides wellness and exercise articles and a variety of paid add-ons, such as access to a fitness consultant.
- Fooducate Nutrition Scanner (Android, iPhone) – with a quick scan of a food’s Nutrition Facts label, this app gives you the inside information on how healthy it is and grades food compared to alternatives to help you make the best selections.
- GymGoal (iPhone) – teaches you exercises, helps encourage balanced workouts and keeps you optimally paced with a rest timer and vibration alerts; continually tweaks reps and sets to ensure progression.
Until the day comes when your elliptical machine can do it all, embracing technology might just be the missing link for your weight loss progress.
Information in this article originally appeared in Shape.